Monday 4 May 2015

Spirited Away Critique

1. Spirited Away incorporates many elements from classical Western literature and folklore: people who magically turn into pigs (the Odyssey); the hero’s quest; the prohibition against eating the food of the Faerie (Irish folklore); a girl who goes to Grandma’s house (“Red Riding Hood”); the need to solve riddles. Do these familiar elements make the story easier to understand, or does their appearance in a Japanese film make them too alien to be helpful?
 
   I don't think the western literature and folklore make the film alienated. I think adding the western parts in to the film make it somewhat easier for kids to understand what’s going on and possible what might happen next if they are from the western part of the world and also to the Japanese kids because the Japanese do tell about the western folklore to their young kids




5. Does it make sense to think of bodies of water as possessing spirit? Have you ever had a relationship with a river, a pond, an ocean, or the rain that prompted you to speak to water? Have you ever been rescued by a body of water? Have you ever cleaned a body of water?
   

   Yes, I think it does make sense to think of bodies of water as possessing spirits. When it rains, I clear my mind of stress and worry because I find the rain to be very peaceful and calming. I just talk to myself out loud about what's on my mind and I don't even think what I'm saying I just let it all come out. And soon enough I feel better and as if someone was listening to me and didn't ask questions afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment